Take My Life




This morning I randomly remembered. Triggered by a song, I was suddenly back in the water. My memory sent me back to my baptism. 5 years ago, standing up to my waist in water, in front of family, friends, community, I made a statement. It was about dying to my self and publically choosing a new Life. The watery submersion symbolized my commitment; like putting on a spiritual wedding ring. One life direction exchanged for another. An oath. A pledge. A merged course.

I am a Jesus Follower. If you're a Spill reader, this shouldn't be new news to you. Hopefully you've suspected as much. To me, it is news, the essence of Good News, the bottom of hope in this world. A few years ago life circumstances drove me to believe that truth in new ways. I had already believed for years. My re-baptism (word?) was a symbol of my re-started passion to follow Jesus. It was a statement of new understanding about how I am Loved. Forgiven. Morphed. Redeemed. Rescued.

And, in response, I am prompted to say, "Take my Life." Some days, I don't make good on that offer. I take my life back for myself. That's the truth. But, thankfully, the Spirit within me keeps prodding and nudging. And every day is grace to try again.

This song was playing after I took the plunge. It is a 130 year old protestant hymn with a face lift. I love every olde english word. And so, it's posted as my own meditation, memory, and plea.

May you find peace, this Sunday.

___________________________

Take my Life
Original Text: Frances Havergal, 1874
Arranged: Chris Tomlin


Take my life and let it be
consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days,
let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands and let them move
at the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet and let them be
swift and beautiful for Thee.

Take my voice and let me sing
always, only for my King.
Take my lips and let them be
filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold
not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect and use
every power as You choose.


Here am I, all of me.
Take my life, it's all for Thee
.

Take my will and make it Thine
it shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart it is Thine own
it shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love, my Lord I pour
at Your feet its treasure store
Take myself and I will be
ever, only, all for Thee.
Take myself and I will be
ever, only, all for Thee.

Here am I, all of me.
Take my life, it's all for Thee.


.
.
.

1 comments:

sibbi said...

moment by moment...take my life...oh yeah! I've got to give it back don't I Lord!? Sorry...please forgive me.

every day...so many times a day...how gracious the Spirit is to remind us, to prompt us, to give us dear friends who go through the same thing!