The Business of Repair


Last year we had a spill of appliance repair and replacement. Over the course of 12 months the oven, stove, dishwasher, trash compactor, vacuum, garbage disposal, refrigerator, washer, dryer all had to either be repaired or replaced. Here in a small mountain town, the competition for appliance repair isn’t very aggressive. So, you take what you get.


What did I get? Repaired appliances and a lot of advice from men who have no idea what it means to run a household full of boys. I received appliance operations advice from well-meaning mechanics who probably cook frozen meals in the microwave and do one load of laundry every other week. For them, an appliance is a convenience. For me, they are the operational guts of my house system. When one goes down, the factory grinds to a halt. So, when the dishes are piles on the counter or laundry is mounding up due to a malfunction, I’m not the least bit receptive to hearing how I could be doing things more effectively. I just want my machines fixed; household advice, not so much.


So, based upon actual comments I have received from various repair men last year, tomorrow I will be posting

"Letter to the Repair Man."

Watch for it ...


_____________________________________________________

Got any funny repair stories? Go ahead. Leave a comment.




2 comments:

Teresa said...

This should be good. :)

Kaz said...

I am chuckling already...