Charlotte

It's raining in Charlotte, and, "I'm raining on the inside." I'm stuck overnight in a hotel in North Carolina -- stranded after one delayed flight caused me to miss all my connecting flights. And Colorado feels a million miles away.

This was supposed to be a short weekend away from home as I traveled for my Grandpa's memorial in Virginia. It was a weekend of good-byes. The hardest of which, actually, was saying goodbye to my family... my Mom, Dad, sisters, and brother. We haven't been together in what feels like forever. And, it was just deeply good to be with them. So, after saying tearful good-byes, I was really ready to say a happier hello to my sons and Steve. Yeah. That's not going to happen today.

I really don't have anything to complain about, though. Everything has been accomodated, and nothing was lost. My bags are with me. I'm in a great hotel. The airline paid for it -- and my food, to boot. And, it's been one of those oddly blessed days where people have all been in a generally friendly chatty moods, in spite of long lines and interupted plans. Actually, when all was said and done, I was kind of sorry to say good-bye to my Long-Line Friend. We stood together in long airport lines for long waits. And, you know how it is, you just get to know people when you wait in long lines together. He had a very polished 'Hollywood' look. And the odd thing about my Long-Line Friend, the whole time we chatted, I had this nagging sense that he is famous; like, TV or Movie famous. My brain never figured out the name to go with his familiarity. And I never asked him directly. But he is definitely somebody. I expect in the next months I'll be watching a movie or something and be like, "Oh my gosh!!! There's my Long-Line Friend!!" I'll keep you posted on that.

Anyhow, so here I am in Charlotte. And one very nice surprise is the rain. Since I left home last week, Colorado blizzard conditions brought a cancelled day of school and snow that literally buried our little Honda Civic. Apparently, my husband and sons had a blast building huge sled runs down the hill. And right now, on the other side of the country, I'm listening to a different sort of precipitation. It is a constant and muffled pounding of rain drops against the window and on the gutters. It's a long-lost sound. It's been a long time since I've felt the moisture and heard this patter of a storm like this. Oddly, for the last four or five months I've been craving rain. And, I'll write about that at some other time. But for now, I'll just say, after living in such an arid place, this is a welcome, humid, wet & restoring sense. For me, it's a needed filling or drenching somehow -- a drink for something deeper inside.

So I guess you never know what a day will bring. And maybe even cancelled flights and interupted plans can bring surprises... like possibly famous Long-Line Friends, and much-needed rain for the soul. Who knew?

Hoping to be home tomorrow,
Kleigh

0 comments: