Reconciled

This is a poem I wrote last year. I admit, it's kind of abstract and odd. It was made to be like a small monument -- erected to remember a time when I experienced reconciliation in a couple of deeply injured relationships.
The word "reconciled" describes something that is re-established, settled, resolved. I came to understand it as a gift which comes only with fearsome gut-level truth. Reconciliation is all about speaking 'this is what I stole from you.' It's about naming a betrayal, violation, or loss and allowing a healing grief to happen. It's all about speaking the specifics of our sin against brothers or sisters, or God, and finding forgiveness; release from debt. In true reconciliation is peace, freedom and a new redeemed state of relationship. And for me, at the core of it really, was a deeper understanding of Jesus, and his grace. I believe it's what he died and lives for. New life. A new song to sing. Grace's new song.


Reconciliation.
‘grace’s new song’

I have no more
old words
for you.


If the truth of my former condition be told,
my tears would speak it
in a river's flow
of baited hooks and
temptation common to man.

Sin and pain
flowing down a long
slow wash
of
bitter
weeping.

No more.

Sin and tears swept down the river.
Washed away in
Ransomed
Blood
and
Water.

The wailing of my pride
rendered
silent.

Now

I
sing
the New Song
of Redeemed Condition.
Reconciled.
Exchanged.
Free.
Now

With you,

No more tears of shame
loss,
sorrow,

No more words of rage,
accusation,
defense.

Grace
Instead.

There is a spilling abundance at Jesus feet
where He gave this grace to me
Undeserved
Unwarranted
Unlimited
Baptized in His forgiving River of tears.
for me, for you
too
Come up
Alive.
Freed.
Singing
your
own
New Song.

Sing
His flowing love and grace
so others see, fear,
find their way
to His feet
to confess
to trust
in Him.

I have
no
more

old
words,

for you,

only a
new song remains.
And may this singing of New Songs never end.



He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear and put their trust in God
."
Ps 40:3


k. leigh 12.07

0 comments: