Lost Keys


What is it about keys?

Keys are like mice, scissors or tape. When you're looking for them, they are nowhere to be found. Then when they do show up, there are are always more than you even knew you had. A couple weeks ago, my forgotten set of keys showed up in my friend Renee's desk, at her office. They had been in that drawer six months. When she finally figured out that they were mine, suddenly, I had a key surplus! I don't even want to admit how many times in a week I get into my car and have to go back inside to retrieve my keys from where I left them. And, I really don't want to admit how many times I just completely lose them.
Keys are important. They provide entry, security, or transportation. Janitors and are powerful people mainly because of the amount of keys jangling on their rings. Closets, entryways, sheds, lockers, no door is truly locked to a janitor. They have unlimited access because of their master keys. And, then there are those tiny little mysterious keys that keep safe deposit secrets. They are small secure keys to strong boxes. I don't have very many keys. And, I can't get anywhere without my little key ring. Literally, the car won't start. I'm grounded without them. When they are lost, they must be found.

Yesterday, I read something that caused me to think about keys and lost things. This idea resonated with me, because lately I'm in a constant battle to stay focused and grounded. Maybe it's something about being 40ish. My mind has become even worse at focusing or remembering. My days have to be wrangled into submission, or else I meander away from the accomplishment of necessary goals. I am constantly trying to stay two steps ahead of a depression that can fall on me at any moment, and leave me feeling like I'm buried in a ton of sand, or drowned in a puddle of tears. I'm not sure what's up with all that. I've been pursuing physical and emotional helps like nutrition and excersise. But I do know, my rescue from any of those daily factors, is a spiritual one. In that place I need security and a strong box unlocked. I need to have mysterious contents revealed, and transport; access to a better place. Those are all God-sized key-like things. So, let's say God is the key. What do you do when you lose a key like THAT?
Charles Spurgeon had a good answer. I randomly pulled a leather-bound book off my shelf last night. "Morning and Evening Devotions" is a compilation of Spurgeon's writings from the mid-1800's. Spurgeon was a firey preacher in England and crowds of people came to hear him by the thousands because of his passion for 'God's Word'. He used antique words like "thy" and "blessed be" and "bretheren." And it takes a little mental recalibration to read, but there is gold to be found in the digging. In yesterday's reading, I found a simple explanation for lost keys -- be they brassy metal or spiritual. It was summed up in this simple quote: "Look for a thing where you dropped it, it is there."
Here's an excerpt of his explanation. Spurgeon says, this:
"Tell me where you lost the company of Christ, and I will tell you the most likely place to find Him. Have you lost Christ in the closet by restraining prayer? Then it is there you must seek and find Him. Did you lose Christ by sin? You will find him again in no other way but by the giving up of the sin ... Did you lose Christ by neglecting the Scriptures? You must find Christ in the Scriptures.
It is a true proverb, "Look for a thing where you dropped it, it is there." So look for Christ where you lost him, for He has not gone away. But it is hard work to go back for Christ ... Twenty miles onward is easier than to go one mile back for the lost evidence.
.Take care, then, when you find your Master, to cling close to Him. But how is it that you have lost Him? One would have thought you would never have parted with such a precious friend, whose presence is so sweet, whose words are so comforting, and whose company is so dear to you! How is it that you did not watch him every moment for fear of losing sight of Him? ... With thine whole heart seek Him, and He will be found of thee."
So, in modern day English, my take-away is pretty basic. Turns out, it's important to go back and look for the keys where they were lost. Maybe that means re-tracing my steps back to my metal keyring, so that my car will start, and I can get where I'm going. And, maybe that also means retracing my steps back to the place in my relationship with God, where I left my spiritual keys sitting lost and unattended. Usually that means I have to ask myself, "What's the last thing God said to me?" And sometimes that leads me to an inspiring song, or something a friend said, or direct words out of the Bible, or my journal, or a prayer, or a look on my son's face. Sometimes I find that key in a most unexpected and forgotten place. And, all that's demanded is to look for it. "Seek Him, and He will be found." Make the choice to go back and find it.
Sounds simple enough, but ... I've got to go start the car now ... and, um ... I'm just wondering ... 'anybody know where my car keys are?
.
-- Excerpt from,
"Morning and Evening Devotions", Complete and Unabridged, by Charles Spurgeon

2 comments:

Laura Parker said...

what a powerful quote and tru story. i am going to chew on what that means for me. where it is that i need to go back and listen and find Him again. thanks for the encouragement and challenge to that. L

KELLY said...

So beautiful and true and contemplative!! Love you!!