The Real Clay Jar




But we have this treasure in clay jars, so that it may be made clear that this extraordinary power belongs to God and does not come from us.



~The Bible (II Cor. 4:7)



This sacred quote sums up my life. It paints the clumsy picture of Spirit packed in flesh vessels; explosive power in fragile pots. My lived experience with God is exactly this: I'm just the container. And usually, if you are able to see any supernatural contents, it's because there is a huge crack in my life. Just ask my husband or sons. They'll quickly agree I'm cracked.

Over time, I've observed that anything supernaturally 'shiney' in my life is usually seen escaping through a broken place; a crack in my clay jar. God-evidence usually shows up in seasons when I have landed soundly on my knees (either by choice or tripping) in need of answers, peace, or rescue. His love and power predictably shine out of my life's biggest weaknesses and hardships. Anything significant that I have to offer in life usually comes from the content of hope that spills in and out of my broken places. Ultimately, there isn't much that speaks hope, survival, and repair better than a deep-incision that has turned into a well-healed scar. Those are the places where God's Spirit proves its presence in a weak container.
A clay jar life is freedom ... and always boils down to one quietly repeating theme. This all-surpassing power isn't from the fragile jar, but from the God inside it. It's a crazy clay jar paradox and the source of my Kleigh Jar Spillings.
.

2 comments:

Laura Parker said...

love this post! love your writing and the way you word truth. beautiful. i wanna read more! :) love you. L

Steve Leigh said...

Have you ever noticed that when you see someone with a scar you wonder. Wow, what happened, how'd they get that. When I was in Russia in the late nineteen hundreds, I was struck with the look of the old. Their faces were drawn, teeth were missing, their hands were calloused, they looked broken down. I remember thinking, I would love to hear their stories. Think of all that they have lived through and all that they have suffered or are still suffering. There is something about evidence of hurt that draws us. We want to know what you have learned, what you know about life that I don't know. The same is true about our broken hearts and broken lives, our disappointments and hurts. It is the place that people want to hear about. They want to know what we have learned, how we have grown. How our God has redeemed it in us.